For my first recipe I thought I would keep it seasonal and share a summery salad recipe. This quinoa salad uses ingredients typically associated with a Greek salad such as feta, oregano and black olives but is made even better (and more filling) by the addition of the quinoa which is packed with protein, making it perfect for a healthy lunch. It could also be served as an accompaniment to some grilled chicken or portobello mushrooms for a healthy and filling dinner.
NB. If reading in the UK, ‘summery’ weather has probably yet to rear it’s head – thankfully this can be enjoyed come rain or shine. Enjoy!
Serves 2 (4 if served as side salad)
- 1 Cup Dried Quinoa
- 1 Cup chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped olives
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (or other variety nut or seeds)
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup avocado
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Rinse the dried quinoa and add to a pan with two cups boiling water, cover with lid. Cook the quinoa on a low-medium heat, until tender (time usually is around 12-15 minutes).
- As the quinoa is cooking, chop the spinach and prepare the avocado by removing the stone and dicing (splash a little lemon or lime juice onto the avocado to prevent from going brown).
- Combine in a blender (or whisk together by hand) the ingredients for the dressing.
- Once the quinoa has cooked, remove from the heat and fluff up with a fork. Drizzle over the dressing and mix. Add all other ingredients to the pan and mix again carefully – ensuring all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Serve, eat and enjoy!