This recipe is perfect for a light lunch or as a side salad to accompany some chicken or fish. The dressing is really tasty and is what makes this dish – very much like pesto in flavour, but uses nutritional yeast to provide the cheesey flavour, rather than parmesan.
Nb. The dressing is also really good as a pasta sauce if you are fancying something a little more substantial and carby!!
Serves 4 as a side salad
- 1 Tin chickpeas
- 1/2 Red onion
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 1/3 Cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Handful fresh basil
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup walnut halves
- Drain the tin of chickpeas and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Wash and dice the pepper and avocado.
- Finely dice the red onion.
- In a blender, blend together the olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, basil leaves and walnut halves, with a pinch of salt and pepper, until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpeas and mix together.
- Add in the red pepper, red onion and avocado and mix again to combine.
- Garnish with extra basil leaves (you know, to make it look fancy). Or alternatively if you are making this just for yourself, forget about the garnish and devour!
p.s. if you want to learn more about nutritional yeast take a look at my post entitled ‘nutritional yeast’, (oddly enough).