This is a really quick and easy breakfast meal, but is really really good! It’s quite a standard recipe except I use ‘Genius’ gluten-free whole meal bread and my special ingredient -a sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes on the top, to really add some flavour! Add lots of cracked black pepper on top of that and you are good to go!
P.s. If you want a really speedy meal, cook your egg in the microwave, grease a small bowl and crack the egg in, pierce the yolk with a fork (so it doesn’t explode when cooking – been there), and cook for around 1 minute. Not exactly fine dining but still effective!
P.p.s Nutritional yeast is an amazing ingredient – for flavour and nutrients – read here for more information.
- 2 Hen’s eggs
- 2 Slices of gluten-free bread
- Dash of oil
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 Avocado
- Salt & Pepper
- Dash of malt vinegar
- Toast your bread. Once toasted drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Scoop out the avocado and mash each half onto each slice of bread.
- Place a small saucepan on to a medium heat, when the water begins to simmer add a dash of malt vinegar (this helps stop the egg from breaking up).
- Crack each of the eggs into a small bowl or cup.
- Swirl your fork around in the water to create a small whirlpool, carefully lower the eggs, one at a time into the whirlpool (I cook mine one at a time as poaching eggs isn’t my favourite thing to do, so find it easier to handle!!)
- Cook for around 2-4 minutes (depending on how well-cooked you want your eggs).
- Scoop the egg out of the water with a slotted spoon and place on-top of one of the avocado-covered slices of bread.
- Sprinkle over half the tablespoon of nutritional yeast and add lots of cracked black pepper.
- Eat and thoroughly enjoy!!