This is the breakfast of kings, or indeed the hearty snack, lunch or dinner of kings…
Think yummy, vegan and gluten-free deliciousness, that will send even the most vegan and gluten-free averse taste buds wild…
Think eggs benedict, but without the eggs and without the buttery, calorie-laden sauce…
Instead, think of a creamy, satisfyingly rich sauce, that is so tasty that I could just eat it by the spoonful. This sauce, combined with the crispy-fried tofu and fresh vegetables is a real match made in heaven that you have just got to try.
For the Vegan ‘Hollandaise’ Sauce;
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil (or any other type of oil that might take your fancy)
- 1 Tbsp Gluten Free Flour Mix ( I used Dove’s farm plain gluten-free mix)
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 ½ Cup Un-sweetened Almond Milk
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 1 Avocado
- 1 ½ Cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 ½ Cup Chopped Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 396g Packet of Firm Tofu (I used ‘Cauldrons’)
- 4-6 Slices of Gluten Free Bread (2 per person is a good amount)
- Remove the tofu from the packet and squeeze out any excess moisture. Cut into 1cm Slices.
- Chop the tomatoes and sprinkle over a little salt -to help bring out their flavour.
- De-stone and shell the avocado and then slice.
- Chop the spinach.
- In a medium sized pan, on a medium heat, pour in the tablespoon of avocado oil (or any other type of oil).
- Once heated, sprinkle in the flour and whisk around to make a paste.
- Slowly pour in the almond milk, making sure to keep whisking so no lumps appear and a smooth and silky sauce begins to form.
- Sprinkle in the smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and mix around.
- Keep stirring on a medium heat until the sauce has thickened to a consistency a little thicker than double cream (takes around 10 minutes). Once the desired thickness has been achieved remove from the heat.
- In a frying pan, heat another tablespoon of oil, once heated add in the tofu slices.
- Cook on one side for around 3-4 minutes (until browned) and then flip over to cook the other side.
- While the tofu is cooking you can toast your bread slices.
- To arrange place a few avocado slices on top of each slice of toast, top with some spinach and then the tofu.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and scatter the tomatoes around the plate.
- Eat and enjoy!